Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Metalworking Carpenter

I stopped by K & K Surplus, a metal salvage yard my friend Tom suggested, this morning.  I found the 3" & 4" steel channel (new) I needed for the trailer modifications and also scored twelve used 8' pieces of 1" conduit that will be used for the strut ends of our bamboo geodesic dome.

After tracking down higher density blades for the portable band-saw and a heavy duty wire wheel for the angle grinder, we set to work.  I was lucky to have the help of my younger brother, Jeff.  He, like me, can't wait to get the chassis done so we can move on to the carpentry work.



We got three of the four cross-members cut, fitted and welded in place.  We also cut out the rear most v-shaped cross-member but chose to leave the one at the front as it has heavy duty angle braces that strengthen the whole front end of the trailer.  Also, the lower sitting rail may come in handy when it comes time to mount fresh, grey and black water storage tanks.  By the way, I've decided to frame in a small lavatory and install an RV style commode.

Tomorrow, we hope to install the last cross-member, cut out the remaining v-shaped rail and frame up the widened section at the front.  I've also been considering a redesign of the sub-floor framing that will lower the overall profile of the caravan and and snug the wheel well in as well.  Hard to explain, I'll post drafts when I get them.

Also, I've got all of the stiles and rails for the four section panel doors cut out but I forgot to take pics.  I also picked up a bunch of African Mahogany for the tongue and groove walls and eave sections.  It really is going to be beautiful.  I keep picturing the gas and candle light from Sarah-Leith's beautiful lanterns dancing on the oil-finished mahogany paneling.

Going to bed.  Updates soon.

No comments: